We’re a small fund, backed by a big not-for-profit.
We may be new but we’re already scoring some of the highest customer satisfaction rates in the industry. Affordable premiums, award-winning Hospital cover and an extensive range of health and wellness benefits – what’s not to like?
Gold Hospital will cover you for:
- Accommodation for overnight, same day and intensive care for private or shared room in agreement private and public hospitals.
- Theatre and labour ward fees covered in agreement private hospitals (excluding restricted services*).
- Medical expenses related to providers for services while admitted in hospital e.g. fees from doctors, surgeons, anaesthetists, pathology, imaging etc. Covered for all services eligible for benefits from Medicare up to Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) Fee. You can choose your doctor/surgeon in a public and private hospital. We will cover the difference between the Medicare benefit and the MBS fee for services provided if you’re admitted to hospital.
- Access Gap Cover is when a provider chooses to participate in an arrangement with us. We cover up to 100% of an agreed amount in excess of the MBS fee which reduces or eliminates your out-of-pocket medical expenses (i.e. surgeons, anaesthetists, pathology, imaging fees etc).
- Surgically implanted prostheses to at least the minimum benefit specified in the prosthesis list issued under Private Health Insurance legislation.
- Pharmacy covers most drugs related to the reason for your admission in agreement with private hospitals.
- Boarder accommodation covers 100%, up to $160 per admission, if not included in hospital agreement.
- Emergency ambulance transport for an accident or medical emergency by approved ambulance providers.
- Hospital Services where a Medicare benefit is payable (excluding restricted services*).
- Better Living programs to help you manage your health and wellness.
- Hospital Substitute Treatment means the possibility of receiving rehabilitation treatment or the care of a registered nurse at home.
*Restricted Benefits (Services) not fully covered:
The services listed below, when provided in a private hospital, are eligible for Minimum Default Benefits prescribed by private health insurance legislation. These benefits relate to hospital bed charges and are unlikely to cover the fees charged for a private hospital admission. Members may incur large out of pocket expenses for theatre fees together with the difference between the Minimum Default Benefit and the bed charge raised by the hospital.
- Podiatric surgery (provided by a registered podiatric surgeon)1
- Services for which a Medicare benefit is NOT payable
1Indicates benefits for accommodation at Minimum Benefits in relevant PHI (Benefit Requirements) Rules and prostheses benefits based on items listed by the Minister of Health. No benefit for medical or theatre costs.
Gold Hospital will not cover you for:
- Hospital services received within policy waiting periods.
- Nursing home type patient contribution, respite care or nursing home fees.
- Take home/discharge drugs (non-PBS may be eligible for benefits from Extras cover).
- Aids not covered in a hospital agreement (may be eligible for benefits from Extras cover).
- Services claimed over 24 months after the service date.
- Services provided in countries outside of Australia.
- Prostheses used for cosmetic procedures, where no Medicare benefit is payable.
- Ambulance transfers between hospitals (for residents in VIC, SA and NT).
For treatment listed as an exclusion there is no benefit payable and you will incur significant out of pocket expense for these services. Please review the exclusions on this cover and always check with CBHS Corporate Health to see if you are covered before receiving treatment.
The following services are excluded from this cover:
- Cosmetic services
An excess is the amount you pay towards the cost of your hospital admission before any benefit is payable. By paying an excess you can reduce the cost of your hospital cover. Excess levels included: $250, $500 or $750.
If you choose an excess, it means that when you go into hospital (same-day or overnight) you will pay the chosen excess amount directly to the hospital. The excess is only payable once per person up to a maximum of twice per couple/family membership per calendar year. Excesses do not apply to any dependent children on the policy.
Waiting periods apply if you are new to private health insurance or if you already have cover with us or another fund, and you choose to upgrade to a higher level of cover.
Parts of waiting periods served within one health fund can be completed in another when you transfer funds. If you upgrade your level of cover, waiting periods may apply to benefits not previously included within your original cover.
|Hospital waiting periods||Calendar months|
|Pre-existing conditions* (except for hospital psychiatric services, rehabilitation and palliative care)||12 months|
|Pregnancy and birth||12 months|
|Hospital psychiatric services**, rehabilitation and palliative care||2 months|
|Accidents***, emergency ambulance transport||1 day|
|All other treatments||2 months|
*If you have a pre-existing condition, a waiting period of 12 months will apply before we will pay hospital or medical benefits towards any treatment for that condition.
**Once you have served the two-month waiting period, you can choose to upgrade your cover (once in a lifetime) and access the higher benefits for hospital psychiatric treatment associated with that cover, without serving an additional waiting period. For more details contact us on 1300 586 462 or email email@example.com.
***Accident means an unexpected or unforeseen event caused by an external force or object resulting in an injury to the body which requires treatment by a medical practitioner, Hospital or dentist (as the context requires) but excludes pregnancy.
Refer to the Gold Hospital product sheet to help you understand your cover and benefits.