Members FAQs

Click one of the expandable titles for more details.

Members FAQs

  • Am I eligible to join CBHS Corporate Health?

    CBHS Corporate Health is an open fund, meaning everyone is able to join.


    Do I need to re-serve waiting periods when I join CBHS Corporate Health?

    No. As long as you transfer from equivalent cover from another Australian health fund (as confirmed by your transfer certificate), you will not be required to re-serve waiting periods with CBHS Corporate Health.

    Please note that if you leave or terminate your membership with CBHS Corporate Health within six months, you may be asked to re-pay benefits that would have been subject to waiting periods.


    What are my payment options?

    We provide a range of payment types including direct debit (fortnightly and monthly billing periods), credit card (fortnightly, monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and yearly) and invoice (quarterly, half-yearly and yearly billing periods).


    Who can be covered by my couple or family policy?

    We all know that couples and families come in lots of diverse sizes and shapes. In everything CBHS Corporate Health does, we work to ensure there is no discrimination regardless of gender, cultural background, ethnicity or sexual origination (LGBTIQ).

    CBHS Corporate Health recognises all couples in the same way, regardless of gender.

    Up to two parents and their children can be covered by a family policy, whether your family has one dad and one mum, one dad, one mum, two dads or two mums. Our family policies can cover parents and their adopted children and foster parents (including grandparents, aunts and uncles etc.) who have children in their legal care. For children to be included on a family policy, it’s important that guardianship be recognised by a Federal or State government agency such as Medicare or one of the state-based family/community services agencies. We may ask for evidence of this guardianship.

    Children are covered by your family policy until they turn 18 (or 25 if they are still studying).  

    If you have any questions about cover for your partner and/or family, please contact our Member Care team on 1300 586 462 or email


    What is a student dependant?

    A student dependant is someone who is unmarried, 18-24 years of age, and attending full time study at a recognised school, college or university.


    How do I request a new membership card?

    You can request a new membership card online via the CBHS Corporate Health Member Centre.


    How can I obtain my Tax Statement?

    Tax Statements are available for download from the Member Centre by following the steps below:

    • Login to the CBHS Corporate Health Member Centre
    • From the menu select Tax Statements
    • Click on the Tax Statement you wish to view
    • Your Tax Statement will then be displayed in PDF format


    How much will I have to pay in taxes, rebates and levies?

    CBHS Corporate Health recommends that its members consult their accountant or the Australia Tax Office to determine their obligations and impacts from taxes, rebates and levies. CBHS Corporate Health can provide general information on the Australian Government Rebate for private health insurance, and period of coverage, but cannot provide advice or recommendations for personal tax impacts.


    How can I update my contact and address details?

    You can update your contact and address details online via the CBHS Corporate Health Member Centre.


General claims FAQs

  • What can I claim for?

    CBHS Corporate Health provides a comprehensive range of products and services for members. What you’re eligible to claim for depends on your level of cover. Briefly, these are some of the categories of products we may cover:

    • Dental, optical, physiotherapy and chiropractic Services
    • Artificial aids, healthcare appliances.
    • Psychiatric, rehabilitation and palliative care.
    • Hospital cover ranging from basic and limited to comprehensive.
    • In-vitro fertilisation treatment.
    • Podiatry, surgical dental, natural therapies, gym memberships and health management services.

    ​Find out more information here.


    Can I claim for treatment, services or goods received overseas?

    Under the Health Benefit Fund Rules of CBHS Corporate Health and the Private Health Insurance (Accreditation) Rules 2008, benefits for treatments, goods and services listed under Extras covers are payable only if the provider is a CBHS Corporate Health Recognised Provider and meets the Private Health Insurance (Accreditation) Rules 2008.

    Overseas providers do not meet this criteria therefore these claims are not eligible for CBHS Corporate Health Benefits.


    How do I calculate my claims benefit?

    We automatically calculate your claims benefit for you when you lodge a claim at your provider’s practice or when you lodge a claim online. If you claim through your provider, you’ll receive the benefit as a deduction in your out-of-pocket expenses. Your claims benefit will be based on the allowable claims percentage or per service limit and overall limit for the category and applicable benefit period.

    You can also use the Online Benefit Quote tool that is available after logging in the Member Centre.


    What is the CBHS Corporate Health Choice Network?

    The CBHS Corporate Health Choice Network is a group of providers who are committed to reducing or removing the gap for Extras services on selected preventative dental and optical frames, lenses and contact lenses.

    Find out more information here.


    Why does CBHS Corporate Health only allow same-day claiming for electronic claims?

    98% of claims are made on the spot in real-time. Within the other 2%, we have found elements of inappropriate claims in backdated claims. Therefore we only allow same-day claiming for electronic claims to protect our members.


    What if the member does not have their CBHS Corporate Health membership card with them at the time of treatment?

    The member will have to pay for the treatment and then lodge a claim with CBHS Corporate Health online.


    Why do I need to provide a doctor’s referral for certain claims?

    CBHS Corporate Health requires a referral to be received from your medical practitioner as evidence that the particular product being claimed is required.


    What types of services do I need a referral for?

    CBHS Corporate Health requires a referral from your medical practitioner for Artificial Aids, Health Care Appliances and contraceptives.


    How long will my referral last?

    A referral received from a medical practitioner will last for the following time periods:

    • Artificial Aids and Health Care Appliances – 3 years
    • Contraceptives – 12 months


    How can I claim on travel and accommodation?

    CBHS Corporate Health pays benefits towards travel and accommodation to members who require essential medical or dental treatment where it is not available within a 160km round trip of the member's home. Benefits are paid for the member receiving treatment only.

    Essential medical treatment means:

    • The member has been referred for the treatment by a registered medical practitioner; and
    • The member has given CBHS Corporate Health a medical certificate from the registered medical practitioner, which states that the treatment is essential.

    CBHS Corporate Health requires the following in order to pay towards travel or accommodation:

    • A medical certificate from the medical practitioner / a copy of the doctors invoice as confirmation you have attended the practice/clinic
    • A copy of the receipt from the hotel, motel, etc. (for accommodation only)
    • A completed and signed CBHS Corporate Health Claim Form.


    Do I need to send CBHS Corporate Health the original receipts?

    No. CBHS Corporate Health will accept scanned, faxed or duplicate receipts. CBHS Corporate Health does not require the original receipts to be submitted in order to process claims.

Hospitals FAQs

  • Why won't my doctor participate in the Access Gap Cover scheme?

    It is up to your doctor to decide whether they will charge you at the Access Gap Cover rate. Even if the doctor has participated in this scheme before, it does not guarantee that the doctor will participate in Access Gap Cover for your treatment. Doctors are free to choose whether they will participate in Access Gap Cover on a patient-by-patient basis, and this decision remains solely with the doctor.


    What kind of things might I have to pay for while in hospital?

    There are some additional services offered at hospitals that may not be covered by CBHS Corporate Health. Examples of these include:

    • Telephone use
    • Newspapers
    • Boarder fees
    • Meals for partners
    • Pharmaceuticals
    • Physiotherapy

    Should you require any of these services, please contact Member Care on 1300 586 462 to find out if they are covered at your hospital.


    What am I covered for when going to the emergency ward of a private hospital?

    CBHS Corporate Health will only pay benefits towards services received as an in-patient of a hospital. If you attend a private hospital emergency ward and incur medical expenses as an out-patient (that is, you are not admitted to hospital), you will not be able to claim these costs through CBHS Corporate Health. These medical costs may be claimed from Medicare for services such as doctor's consultation, x-rays and scans.


    Do I have to pay my excess for a day procedure?

    Yes. If you have chosen a hospital policy with an excess, this is payable for day procedures and overnight hospital stays.


    What is a pre-existing condition?

    A pre-existing condition means an ailment or illness, the signs or symptoms of which, in the opinion of the Medical Adviser, or other relevant health care practitioner appointed by CBHS Corporate Health to give advice on such matters, having regard to any information furnished by the Member's Health Care Provider providing the treatment and any other relevant information furnished in respect of the claim for Benefit, existed at any time in the period of six months ending on the day on which the person because insured under the policy and the commencement of contributions for the benefit.


    Am I covered for all prostheses?

    You are covered to the minimum benefit specified in the prosthesis list issued under Private Health Insurance legislation except for services that are excluded on your hospital level of cover.


    Why does CBHS Corporate Health want me to provide a medical report for my planned hospitalisation?

    When joining or upgrading, there is a 12 month waiting period for pre-existing conditions. You may be requested to provide a medical report so our medical advisor can assess whether or not the condition is pre-existing. Call 1300 586 462 for more information.


    Am I covered for a minor medical procedure in my doctor's room?

    An example of a minor medical procedure could be the removal of a small cancerous spot where the doctor may perform this procedure in a sterile room and raises a specific fee for the use of the room.

    This type of service is considered a non-admitted theatre fee. Benefits towards this specific fee are available under Gold Extras. Benefits are 70% of the cost up a limit defined for your cover.

    Please note that the bill for doctor services is payable by Medicare only.


    Can I receive benefits towards home nursing after hospitalisation?

    In some instances home nursing is provided by the hospital after you have been discharged and is payable by CBHS Corporate Health under your hospital cover as part of your admission costs and is part of the hospital and fund agreement.

    Alternatively if the above does not apply and you have Gold Extras, you may receive benefits towards home nursing by a registered nurse.


    Why does CBHS Corporate Health pay ambulance claims differently depending on which state the service has been provided?

    Each individual State Government has different arrangements in place, which determines how an ambulance claim is paid. As a result, CBHS Corporate Health is required to pay these claims based on the state the service was provided in. A summary of the state-based arrangements are detailed below:

    • NSW & ACT – Residents receive full ambulance cover with CBHS Corporate Health if hospital cover is held as a levy is included in your premiums. If you hold CBHS Corporate Health ambulance cover only, CBHS Corporate Health will pay towards emergency transport only.
    • QLD – A subscription is paid through the electricity bill, which covers residents for ambulance services Australia-wide.
    • NT, SA, VIC & WA – Residents receive emergency ambulance cover with CBHS Corporate Health if hospital cover or ambulance cover is held.
    • TAS – A subscription is paid through  resident taxes if the services are performed in ACT, NT, NSW, TAS, VIC or WA. If the service is provided in QLD or SA, emergency ambulance services are covered if you hold CBHS Corporate Health hospital cover or ambulance cover.

Pregnancy FAQs

  • Are IVF treatments covered by CBHS Corporate Health?

    No benefits are available for drugs used for IVF treatment from Extras cover under the pharmaceutical entitlement. CBHS Corporate Health does pay benefits towards inpatient IVF treatment in a contracted private hospital if your current hospital cover includes assisted reproductive services.


    When is my baby an admitted patient?

    Under rules set down by the Department of Health, the payment of gap medical benefits is restricted to medical services provided whilst an admitted patient of a hospital.

    A new born baby is classified as an admitted patient when one or more of the following criteria apply:

    • The baby is admitted to an approved neo-natal intensive care facility
    • The baby is the second or subsequent born in a multiple birth situation (e.g. twins or triplets)
    • The baby is more than 9 days old while still in hospital

    If none of these criteria are met, your baby is not classified as an admitted patient for gap medical purposes and expenses can only be claimed through Medicare. (It is required that you indicate that your baby was not classified as admitted patient.) You will be eligible for 85% of the schedule fee through Medicare. No further benefits are available from CBHS Corporate Health.


    Does CBHS Corporate Health pay for meals?

    Generally, when mother and baby are in hospital, CBHS Corporate Health do not pay for the partner's meals or accommodation. Although there are benefits available for Boarder Fees (accommodation only) in some hospitals for specific situations, these benefits are subject to the conditions of the contract that is in place with CBHS Corporate Health. Please contact Member Care for further information.


    Can CBHS Corporate Health help with lactation classes?

    CBHS Corporate Health can help if you have Gold Extras Lactation classes come under the midwifery benefit, which entitles you to 70% of the cost up to a maximum of $500 per confinement.

    To claim for lactation classes, CBHS Corporate Health requires an official receipt showing the midwife's full name and nurse’s registration number.


    Why doesn’t CBHS Corporate Health pay benefits towards home birthing?

    No, CBHS Corporate Health does not pay benefits towards a midwife performing home birthing.

Tax Time FAQs

  • What does my tax statement show?

    Your Tax Statement shows:

    • Your share (for Taxation purposes) of the total health insurance premiums you paid to CBHS Corporate Health between 1 July 2017 and 30 June 2018 that are eligible for the Australian Government rebate on Private Health Insurance;
    • The amount (if any) of Australian Government rebate you received; and
    • The number of days you held an appropriate level of private patient hospital cover (if this is less than 365, you may need to pay the Medicare Levy Surcharge).


    Why do I receive these tax statements?

    Your Tax Statement will help you or your Tax agent to complete your Tax return. It is a legal requirement that all health funds send Tax Statements to all adults who were covered by CBHS Corporate Health during the last financial year.


    Who receives a tax statement?

    Statements are sent to each adult on your membership who has held private health insurance cover or paid a premium during the last financial year.  If you have removed a partner or spouse throughout the financial year, they will receive their own Tax Statement. If CBHS Corporate Health does not have an address for them, it will be given to you to forward to them.


    Why does my partner now get their own tax statement?

    CBHS Corporate Health Tax Statements comply with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) requirements. Due to a change in legislation we are now required to provide a Tax Statement to each main member and partner that was covered by a policy between 1 July 2017 and 30 June 2018.


    How do you work out how much each main member and partner paid for their tax statement?

    To work out the amount of premiums each person paid on their Tax Statement, each payment is split in half based on who was covered on the policy at the time the premium was received.

    Example 1:

    Sarah and Matt pay their membership contribution of $100 each fortnight for 12 months. At the end of the year they have paid a combined amount of $2,600. They will each receive a Tax Statement showing an amount of $1,300.

    Example 2:

    Natalie and Luke were on a membership together from 1 July to 31 December 2017. On 1 January 2018, Natalie removed Luke and added new partner Nathan onto her membership. The contributions were $250 per month. In total, the membership had paid $3,000 in contributions.

    The tax statement will split the contributions 50/50 based on the amount of money that was received while each partner was on the membership.

    Natalie will receive one with $1,500, Luke with $750 and Nathan with $750.


    Why are my children not included in the split for tax statements?

    CBHS Corporate Health is not required to issue Tax Statements to dependent children because they are not classified as “adults” under the PHI Act 2007.

    A Sole Parent membership will receive one Tax Statement.


    What if I was on two different memberships? 

    You will receive two Tax Statements, each one with information from the different memberships.


    What if there are payments missing from my tax statement?

    The figures on your Tax Statement take into account health insurance premiums received by CBHS Corporate Health during the period 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2018.

    Please note: Payments made up to midnight on 30 June 2018 will be included on your 2017-18 Tax Statement.


    When will I receive my tax statements?

    Your Tax Statement will be available by 14 July 2018. If you elected to access your Tax Statements electronically, you will be advised via email when your Statements are available online.

    If you receive your correspondence via mail, we will have your Tax Statement sent out to you by 14 July 2018.


    Where can I get a copy of my tax statement?

    You can view your Tax Statement by logging on to the Member Centre

    If you receive your correspondence via mail, we will have your Tax Statement sent out to you by 14 July 2018.


    What is CBHS Corporate Health's Health Fund ID?

    Our Fund ID is 'CBC.


    Where can I get a financial year claims history?

    You are able to print a financial year claims history from our Member Centre, or you can email CBHS Corporate Health at, or call us on 1300 586 462. It will also be uploaded to your correspondence history.


    Where can I find out more information about tax statements and the Australian Government rebate on Private Health Insurance?

    If we have not answered all your queries about Tax Statements, please call us on 1300 586 462. If you have any questions about the Australian Government Rebate on private health insurance or your Tax return, contact the Australian Taxation Office on 13 28 61 or visit


    What is a Medicare Levy and Medicare Levy Surcharge?

    The Medicare Levy is a 2.0% levy payable on your Taxable income which partly funds Medicare to provide a health care safety net for all Australians. There are various exemptions for those on lower incomes. For details, please visit the Australian Taxation Office Medicare Levy Website.

    The Medicare Levy Surcharge is designed to reduce the demand on the public Medicare system. The surcharge is levied on those individuals or families who were not covered by private health insurance for the whole year and have Taxable incomes over the threshold in a given year. The base Taxable income thresholds for the levy for 2017-18 is $90,000 per annum for singles and $180,000 per annum for couples, single parent families or families with one child. The income thresholds increase by $1,500 for each additional child after the first. The surcharge levy is applied at a tiered rate between 1% and 1.5%. For details, please visit the Australian Tax Office Medicare Levy Surcharge website.


    Can I make a payment before the end of the financial year for my membership?

    Yes, you can manage your payments after logging into our Member Service Centre via the website and selecting the ‘Payment’ tab. You must make the payment before midnight 30 June 2018. Alternatively, you can contact our Member Care Centre on 1300 654 123 during our operating hours, Monday – Friday from 7am to 7pm.